|Innovating The Next Big Thing||April 20, 2014|
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Web Stats
• Ghost City
Gartner Says India PC Shipments Will Grow 17 Percent in 2012
Apr 4, 2012 – Sony Shetty
The PC industry is benefiting from the Tamilnadu state government deal, wherein the government aims to give away laptops to the students of state-aided colleges and high schools - to fulfill the pre-election pledge made by the chief minister. This will add approximately 920,000 units to total shipments in 2012 and will be a major contributor for an estimated double-digit growth. Without considering this particular deal PC market is expected to grow 8.4 percent in 2012.
“High inflation, increased cost of living and smartphone penetration are forcing consumers to extend the life of their computing devices,” said Vishal Tripathi, principal research analyst at Gartner. “Consumers are not very enthusiastic about investing in new and advanced features and form factors which comes at a premium price. “
The new form factor Ultrabook has its advantage in terms of looks, style, light weight and battery life. However, at the current price point it’s not going to be a persuasive device for consumers in the Indian market, which are primarily driven by price points more than technology innovations. It remains to be seen whether Windows 8 and Ultrabook will create the compelling offering that will get the early adopter of devices excited about PCs again. Media tablets might see higher adoption as compared to 2011, but they are not going to have any major impact on the PCs as they are still the second or third devices for consumers. Although some enterprise sectors, such as the fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) and banking, financial services and insurance (BFSI) sectors, are opting for tablets for front end sales force atomization.
“Commercial spending in the large enterprises may remain stable for some time, but with uncertainty in the global economy it might soften in the months to come. Consumers were waiting for the annual budget with the hope of some cuts in PC prices, but with the increase in excise duty, the cost of PCs will go up. This will result in some slack in consumer demand in the months to come, “said Mr. Tripathi.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Analyst Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 4/1 Innovation Insights: Geospatial Technologies and Humanitarian Goals: Can Geospatial Technologies Inspire Sympathy?
• 3/25 Ovum: Ovum comments: SAP and Adobe to jointly resell Adobe Marketing Cloud
• 3/24 McAfee Blog: Online Tax Time Scams: How to Avoid
• 3/24 McAfee Blogs: McAfee SIEM Enables Cloud Security and Reduces time and resources for Compliance demands for DTS
• 3/24 Ovum: Ovum forecasts CSPs’ capex to remain flat, while telecom vendors face a tough marketplace
• 3/24 Gartner Says a Thirty-Fold Increase in Internet-Connected Physical Devices by 2020 Will Significantly Alter How the Supply Chain Operates
• 3/24 Gartner Says Healthcare Providers in Middle East & Africa To Spend US $ 2.8 Billion on IT In 2014
• 3/21 McAfee Blog: Google Docs Phishing Campaign is Frighteningly Accurate
• 3/20 HP Security Products Blog: Happiness is…securing your app before you launch it!
• 3/20 Wireless Watch: Google and Samsung both start with the watch, but then wearables agendas diverge
• 3/20 Faultline: Vivendi picks the devil it knows best in French bunfight over mobile
• 3/20 Faultline: All singing and dancing TV Connect live with OTT, mobile, dongles, RDK
• 3/20 Gartner Says European CRM Budgets Remain Strong Despite Economic Uncertainty
• 3/19 Ovum: Increase in financial markets IT spending points to end of credit crunch
• 3/19 Gartner Says the Internet of Things Will Transform the Data Center
• 3/19 Gartner Says 70 Percent of CIOs Will Change Their Technology and Sourcing Relationships in the Next Two to Three Years
• 3/19 HP Security Products Blog: Big announcements for 4th Annual HP Government Summit
• 3/18 McAfee Blogs: Smartphone Kill Switch Could Become Federal Law
• 3/18 McAfee Blogs: Anxious About Summer Already? Create a Family Gadget Plan
• 3/18 McAfee Blogs: What is a Denial-of-Service Attack?
• 3/18 McAfee Blogs: Four Pillars Build the Foundation of Successful SIEM
• 3/17 McAfee Blogs: Online relationships are Anamorphic Illusions
• 3/17 McAfee Blogs: Experian ID Theft Exposed 200 Million Consumer Records
• 3/17 McAfee Blogs: Adaptive Threat Prevention – Reducing Attack Discovery to Containment in Milliseconds
• 3/17 Gartner Says Worldwide External Controller-Based Disk Storage Market Grew Five Percent in Fourth Quarter of 2013
• 3/13 McAfee Blogs: Anonymous, Syrian Electronic Army Lead Recent Hacktivist Actions
• 3/13 Ovum: Analyst view: EE’s ranking in RootMetrics study reflects its strategy for being one-step-ahead
• 3/13 Gartner Says Middle East & Africa IT Infrastructure Spending will Reach $3.5 Billion in 2014
• 3/13 eMarketer: Desktop Search to Decline $1.4 Billion as Google Users Shift to Mobile
• 3/13 Wireless Watch: Carrier aggregation reaches out to TDD and unlicensed spectrum
• 3/13 Wireless Watch: Carrier SDN needs to unify every network layer to maximize returns
• 3/12 McAfee Blogs: Analyzing the Uroburos PatchGuard Bypass
• 3/12 Ovum: Analyst View: Ovum sees security transformation underway
• 3/12 Ovum: Analyst view: MEPs voted for stronger protection for EU citizens’ personal data
• 3/12 Gartner Says New U.S. Government Rules Will Require IT Leaders to Consider How IT Infrastructure Can Help Promote Employment Opportunities for People with Disabilities
• 3/11 McAfee Blogs: Threats Timeline Tracks Recent Security Breaches
• 3/11 Ovum: Analyst view: Ifetel declares Telmex and Televisa as dominant in their respective markets in Mexico
• 3/11 Gartner Acquires Software Advice
• 3/11 Gartner Announces Customer 360 Summit 2014
• 3/11 eMarketer: AOL Rebounds as Programmatic, Video Push Double-Digit Growth
• 3/11 HP Security Products Blog: Consumers need security intelligence, too
• 3/10 Wireless Watch: WiFi Revisited - The effects of WiFi Offload
• 3/10 McAfee Blogs: Timeline of Bitcoin Events Demonstrates Online Currency’s Volatility
• 3/10 McAfee Blogs: Threat Intelligence Exchange: An Old Dog with Plenty of New Tricks
• 3/10 McAfee Blogs: Network Security Perspective: Point-of-Sale, Data Loss, and the Black Market
• 3/10 eMarketer: Mobile to Surpass Newspapers for UK Ad Spending
• 3/10 Canalys: Technology channel partners set for business transformation in 2014
• 3/9 McAfee Blogs: Welcome to the New McAfee Labs Quarterly Threats Report
• 3/9 Gartner Says Public Cloud Services in the Middle East and North Africa Region on Pace To Total $620 Million In 2014
• 3/7 HP Security Products Blog: How to prevent vulnerabilities in WiFi access points