|Innovating The Next Big Thing||July 23, 2014|
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Web Stats
• Ghost City
Gartner Says India PC Shipments Will Grow 17 Percent in 2012
Apr 4, 2012 – Sony Shetty
The PC industry is benefiting from the Tamilnadu state government deal, wherein the government aims to give away laptops to the students of state-aided colleges and high schools - to fulfill the pre-election pledge made by the chief minister. This will add approximately 920,000 units to total shipments in 2012 and will be a major contributor for an estimated double-digit growth. Without considering this particular deal PC market is expected to grow 8.4 percent in 2012.
“High inflation, increased cost of living and smartphone penetration are forcing consumers to extend the life of their computing devices,” said Vishal Tripathi, principal research analyst at Gartner. “Consumers are not very enthusiastic about investing in new and advanced features and form factors which comes at a premium price. “
The new form factor Ultrabook has its advantage in terms of looks, style, light weight and battery life. However, at the current price point it’s not going to be a persuasive device for consumers in the Indian market, which are primarily driven by price points more than technology innovations. It remains to be seen whether Windows 8 and Ultrabook will create the compelling offering that will get the early adopter of devices excited about PCs again. Media tablets might see higher adoption as compared to 2011, but they are not going to have any major impact on the PCs as they are still the second or third devices for consumers. Although some enterprise sectors, such as the fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) and banking, financial services and insurance (BFSI) sectors, are opting for tablets for front end sales force atomization.
“Commercial spending in the large enterprises may remain stable for some time, but with uncertainty in the global economy it might soften in the months to come. Consumers were waiting for the annual budget with the hope of some cuts in PC prices, but with the increase in excise duty, the cost of PCs will go up. This will result in some slack in consumer demand in the months to come, “said Mr. Tripathi.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Analyst Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 6/23 HP Security Products Blog: Disrupting the innovator’s dilemma
• 6/23 McAfee Blogs: Multiparty authentication and cryptosystems in the IoT – part 3
• 6/19 HP Security Products Blog: Can the law keep up with technology advances?
• 6/19 McAfee Blogs: Buyer Beware: This Smartphone Comes with Malware Pre-Loaded
• 6/19 McAfee Blogs: Multiparty authentication and cryptosystems in the IoT – part 2
• 6/18 McAfee Blogs: Hackers Score a Goal with World Cup Scams
• 6/18 McAfee Blogs: How The State of Colorado Secured its Infrastructure with McAfee SIEM
• 6/18 iSuppli: In Complex Supply Chain, Knowles and Infineon are Top Suppliers of Packaged MEMS Microphones and Bare Microphone Dies
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Bridging the Tech Gap: A Snapchat Primer for Parents
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Workplace Wearables and the Loss of Privacy
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Thinking About Next-Generation Security and Cyberwarfare
• 6/17 Gartner Says Asia Pacific Enterprise Application Software Market Grew 6.5 Percent in 2013
• 6/17 Gartner Says Middle East and Africa Business Intelligence and Analytics Software Market Grew 11 Percent in 2013
• 6/16 HP Security Products Blog: Does personal accountability need to shift in business?
• 6/16 McAfee Blogs: What is Fake Antivirus Software?
• 6/16 Service Providers Need to Develop Different Core Competencies to Succeed in a Digital World
• 6/16 Gartner Announces Keynote Lineup for 2014 Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit
• 6/16 iSuppli: Amazon adds music to Prime Subscriptions
• 6/12 iSuppli: Wireless charging coming to all US Starbucks - but incompatible with most enabled devices
• 6/12 eMarketer: US TV Ad Market Still Growing More Than Digital Video
• 6/12 Faultline: US cable operators more unpopular than ever
• 6/12 Faultline: Cisco VNI pushes on, video to be 79% of all traffic
• 6/11 McAfee Blogs: Celebrating our partners’ success
• 6/11 McAfee Blogs: Celebrating our partners’ success
• 6/11 McAfee Blogs: Microsoft Patch Tuesday: June 2014
• 6/11 Gartner Identifies China's Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends in 2014
• 6/11 Gartner Says Mobile Apps Will Have a Significant Impact on Information Infrastructure
• 6/11 eMarketer: Worldwide Smartphone Usage to Grow 25% in 2014
• 6/10 Gartner Forecasts Indian Business Intelligence and Analytics Software Revenue to Reach $139.5 Million In 2014
• 6/10 Gartner Says Worldwide Security Software Market Grew 4.9 Percent in 2013
• 6/10 Gartner Announces Catalyst Conference 2014
• 6/9 HP Security Products Blog: What about 'the machine'?
• 6/9 HP Security Products Blog: Day 2 at Discover
• 6/9 McAfee Blogs: CISOs: What the New CSIS and McAfee Global Cost of Cybercrime Study Means for Your Business
• 6/9 Gartner Says Organizations Must Prepare for the Security Implications of the Digital Workplace
• 6/6 Gartner Says India PC Market Declined 20.6 Percent In The First Quarter Of 2014
• 6/5 McAfee Blogs: Teen Cyberbullying Triples, Emotional Impact Grows
• 6/5 McAfee Blogs: Apple Makes a Strong Push for the Internet of Things, But Will It be Secure?
• 6/4 HP Security Products Blog: Advanced analytics made easy with HAVEn
• 6/4 HP Security Products Blog: Viva Las Vegas! HP Enterprise Security Products represent at HP Discover 2014
• 6/4 McAfee Blogs: Massive Law Enforcement Operation Tells two Malware Variants it’s ‘Game Over’
• 6/4 McAfee Blogs: Backing Up the Claims: ESG Validates McAfee NGFW Strengths
• 6/4 Gartner Says Big Data Needs a Data-Centric Security Focus
• 6/4 Gartner Says by 2016, 25 Percent of the Top 50 Global Banks Will have Launched a Banking App Store for Customers
• 6/3 McAfee Blogs: The Privacy Problems with Mobile Messaging Apps
• 6/3 McAfee Blogs: Teens’ Online Behavior Can Get Them in Trouble
• 6/3 McAfee Blogs: Deterrence in Cyberspace Helps Prevent Cyberwar
• 6/3 Gartner Executive Programs Survey Identifies Regional Differences Between CIOs
• 6/2 HP Security Products Blog: Do data breaches influence investors?
• 6/2 McAfee Blogs: It’s ‘Game Over’ for Zeus and CryptoLocker